Tips for Train Travel

I'm reading a lot about train travel and I'm just going to post some tips I find as I find them... I'll keep coming back and adding to this list. Feel free to add your own. :)








  1. According to the wiki, "The published schedule is almost always wrong. The train generally leaves on time from Chicago and Emeryville, if there are no major expected delays. The train reliably loses three hours in Nevada, generally standing still while everybody is asleep to allow freight trains to pass.
    The standard delay for arriving at a final destination ranges from 3-7 hours." I'll definitely call before we leave to see if it's running on-time. :)
  2. There is 2" more leg room on the stair side of the train. Read that from Utah through Colorado, you want to be on the left side of the train for the best views??

  3. Bring binoculars.

  4. Bring MP3 players, games, books, and other entertainment.

  5. Bring a light blanket (army-type blanket), pillow (inflatable?), Breathe RightTM nasal strips (if you snore), sleeping pills, earplugs...

  6. Bring a wash cloth & baggie for washing up + soap/soap dish, moist towlettes, usual toiletries

  7. Wear comfy clothes & shoes.

  8. "Long distance trains will have a snack bar and almost always a dining car. The Timetable shows this info at the bottom of the page for each route. Eat at least one meal in the dining car if your train has one. It's fun, only a little more expensive than the snack bar (for equivalent items), good food -- and an "obligatory" part of the Amtrak Experience. Don't be in a rush. Eating in the dining car is often going to be leisurely. Patience is really a virtue here. Seating is 4 to a table so you'll be meeting new friends at each meal unless you are a part of a fixed four-some. By the way, the staff will request that couples sit alongside, not across from each other since many people are uncomfortable sitting side-by-side with a stranger. Reservations are normally taken for lunch and dinner, breakfast is first come first served. Listen carefully for announcements; usually sleeping car (first class) passengers get first choices." - Menu is HERE (click "National Dining Car"). HOURS - Breakfast: 6:30am-9:30am (board by 9:00am) Lunch: 11:30am-2:30pm (board by 2:00pm) Dinner: 5:00pm-9:00pm (board by 8:30pm)

  9. There is also a snack bar (hours: 6am-11pm).

  10. You can bring your own food - but cannot eat it in the lounge or dining car. There is room for a small cooler between seats if you want to bring drinks. There is a fruit stand and small convenience store in the station at Grand Junction, Colorado.
  11. Photos - "To optimize your shots, find a clean window and wipe the glass down with a clean cloth to remove smears. Turn the camera flash off, select a fast shutter speed and keep your lens on or as close to the window as possible. Use a polarizing filter to eliminate any remaining glare and reflections." (I'm going to bring Windex... yeah, I know...)
  12. Dry air - like airplane air - for 30 hours. Bring lozenges, hard candies, lots of water... I'm bringing Airborne.
  13. Bring a surge protector in case you find an outlet you can use. That way you can share the power and make people happy. Also maybe flat extension cord.
  14. 1-800-USA-RAIL - to check the schedule!

3 Response to "Tips for Train Travel"

  1. Stephen Kuykendall says:
    April 15, 2010 at 11:37 PM

    1. What is the "stair side of the train"?

    2. I think you will all look funny in snuggies.

    3. Comfortable shoes for me are flip-flops, anyone know relative temperatures on trains?

    4. How small is a "small cooler"?

  2. Whit says:
    April 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM

    1. The side of the train where the stairs are. :)

    2. *snort* - me, too.

    3. All I know is the site I was reading says it tends to get a bit cool at night... I would imagine flip-flops will be fine. Maybe you want to bring some socks in your duffle to wear while sleeping?

    4. I think it means one of those little drink coolers. I'll post pictures of the seating and the cooler I think it means.

  3. Whit says:
    April 16, 2010 at 12:57 PM

    I'm actually not sure on the cooler now - there's quite a bit of space in the lounge areas. I'm thinking that for one of my carry-ons I'm going to bring a cooler.